Saturday, December 13, 2008

Trying to figure out life...

I am DONE with my first semester of college!! The most annoying part is waiting for all of my grades to be posted...Next semester I am going to be a sophomore and in the fall I will be a junior. It scares me so much that the path that I am set on right now in college determines what I am going to do for the rest of my life. Currenlty I am a political science and public rhetoric major with pre-law intentions. For the past three years my life plan has been to go to law school and come back to my hometown and work as an assistant district attorney and someday run for district attorney.I participated in mock trial for all of high school and decided that being an attorney would be the perfect career for me. It would be a great combination of my passions for helping others, public speaking and history of government. Lately I have been thinking that being an attorney might not be the perfect career choice for me anymore. I love the political science department at my school and will most likely stay in the department, but I am leaning towards a masters in non-profit or an MBA in non-profit management instead of Law School. One of the most important things to me is that my career be something that I enjoy and something that will help me make a difference in the world. I had a short talk with my mama tonight before she left for dinner and we both agreed that I would be good at something working with children or elderly people and I promised her that I would not go into education. She suggested that I look into Child Psychology or Psychometry...That sounded really interesting to me because I could work with children and psychometrists are the people who test students for gifted programs and mental disabilities. The only problem is since I am so far ahead in school, I would have already had to declare a major in psychology and completed certain courses before hitting 30 hours, which I completed this semester...
but the good news is I am leaning very strongly towards a career in the non-profit sector. My sorority's philanthropy is the Children's Miracle Network and at a Christmas fundraiser the lady that works at the local children's hospital told us about her college experience and its the exact same as mine! She was a poli sci major and then got a masters in non-profit. All of my friends turned and looked at me and were like its you!
Sorry for the long rant, but I have just been thinking about all of this for a long time.
P.S.
It feels so great to be home and I am puppysitting my new little sister tonight :)

No comments: